Monday, July 12, 2010

The ever changing nature of an epic historical trilogy


When I first realised Banquo's Son was going to turn into a trilogy, I thought I had figured out what was going to happen in Book Two (Bloodlines) and Book Three (Birthright). Well, now that Bloodlines is done and dusted and winging its way to the printers as I write, I have to re-think some things because the external plot line of Birthright has shifted.



I had anticipated that book three would have the Battle of Hastings (1066) as its backdrop and so ensured that we came to know some of the key players in that event in Bloodlines. I read a lot of stuff and did a lot of research.

However, something else crept into Bloodlines that I hadn't seen coming so now I am painting a different backdrop to the story which is all good.

I'm working on the synopsis now, fine tuning, thinking, listening to Fleance and Rachel and Rosie and a couple of new characters you'll get to meet soon.

At least I know how it ends - happily. Well, that's my intention but you never know what life (and fiction) throws up.

No comments: