Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Procrastination blues.

I'm thinking of getting my daughter to write me a song. And sing it. Isn't that what procrastination is all about - not doing the doing?

My evenings are free, currently. Television is not that enticing. I do have a stack of unread review copies to read but don't want to dive into them because I know that will make my writer-guilt even worse.

I wish I could pay someone to write the last 60,000 words. I've got it all mapped out. I've even written some compelling bits to be scattered throughout. But, dammit. I have to do the leg work myself and I am currently a lazy author.

What is a lazy author?

Oh, so easy to identify. The one who watches more than the average amount of DVDs; who goes more frequently to the theatre (movie or playhouse); who has books beside the bed, toilet, in the car, in the handbag...

The lazy author is not lazy. She (or he) is in avoidance mode and justifies her behavious as RESEARCH.

A message to the friends and relatives of an author going through the procrastination blues: do not be kind. Slap them (metaphorically of course) and remind them that they have a duty to fulfill their obligation to the reading world.

2 comments:

Vanda Symon said...

SLAP SLAP SLAP SLAP SLAP SLAP SLAP SLAP SLAP SLAP HUG SLAP SLAP SLAP SLAP SLAP HUG SLAP SLAP SLAP SLAP SLAP HUG SLAP SLAP SLAP HUG
(-;

TK Roxborogh said...

the slaps had an effect but the family demands were stronger so nothing happened (again) tonight.