Saturday, September 18, 2010

My dilemma - forget about part two or three...

Today I was in a place in my teaching whereby I happened to mention a book whose fires are stoked to keep it alive. It was because a student read an article for her wide reading NCEA assessment called Killing Time. Back in 1999, when I was teaching at Orewa College, the entire story for a novel pushed itself into my life. I wrote the synopsis and the first few chapters. Little changed for the written words but much has changed for my life - the Banquo's Son trilogy being a big part of it.

Anyway, I began to tell the class the story of Killing Time. One by one the girls stopped what they were doing (which was [cough] important assessment stuff) and urged me to go on with the story telling.

At about two minutes to the bell, I realised something about myself: I tell great stories. Better stories than some others.

Much more happened in that lesson and it had to do with the mermaid story and I am so using that interaction in the novel.

My point is: can someone please pay me to write these stories cos they are really really good - like and though I adore/love teaching, I need time to write.
wah - just saying

No comments: