Saturday, November 14, 2009

Why I avoid writing

I think I'm afraid. After nearly a month now of such positive feedback regarding Banquo's Son, I'm nervous I won't be able to do it again - that is, write a stunning second novel as good as the first.

Writing is such a fearful thing. One is constantly doubting oneself and I have to battle daily to convince my doubting inner protester that this is a BIG story. It's epic. It needs three books to tell it.

I turn on my computer every morning and spend far too long reading other people's blog, checking out what everyone's up to on FaceBook and sending email.

Everytime I have a break from the writing, I have to spend about an hour catching up with where I am. Sometimes, this brings pleasure (when I've read a particularly good passage) and sometimes, it can cause me to mutter: crap. crap. crap.

But, I've made a promise to myself that I will write 1000 words today. I will put a post script to this post updating my progress.

Post Script: well, I did manage 1000 words but not sure if I can really count [blah blah blah] and [more here] as real words.

It occured to me that I best follow my own advice: if you are suffering writer's block then there a few things likely to be done. For me, I need to map this next section of the novel clearly for it is coming to the first climax. The second, I need some fodder for the brain. This morning, I dusted off my brother-in-law's copy of Scottish Battles and opened up my large map of Scotland to get a sense of distance.

I need to get the bones together as soon as I can so that I have a sense of the whole trajectory of the story - then I can go back and colour in.

No comments: