Saturday, August 28, 2010

labels

Why is it that publishers and booksellers insist on putting books in boxes? Right now, I am reading Mandy Hager's 2nd book in her Blood of the Lamb trilogy (and I'm 45) and my daughter is reading The Blind Assassin (she's 18).

If the publishers and booksellers are to believed, it should be the other way around.

The book I'm most looking forward to reading? Mockingjay by Susan Collins!

So, Banquo's Son has been read and enjoyed by tens of 1000's of people ranging in age from 12 to 80. When I wrote it, I had my senior students in mind (and, I'm a teen at heart) so that's why it 'reads like YA' as some editors have commented.

My response? So what? I read adult books when I was YA (though that term hadn't been invented when I was a teen) and I read YA now (as an adult).

Readers read good books with great stories. Banquo's Son is a great story. Bloodlines is even better.

1 comment:

Melinda Szymanik said...

I totally agree. A good read is a good read. I read kids books most of the time. Doesn't mean I can't enjoy them if I'm not a kid. Good readers know where to find good books as long as publishers publish them :)