Monday, June 15, 2009

I'm so lucky

I get to hang out with my reading audience. So, it's period one Monday. On Friday afternoon, I'd given Banquo's Son to a newbie (you are a newbie if you have or were not a) in one of my classes last year when the story came to me and then suffered as I enthused about the story b) not a babe (as in The Babes not being a babe cos you're good looking) or c) not yet read the story in 2009.

So, two newbies in the computer room next door to my classroom. I go in to collect from the printer a senior student's essay and this is what transpires:
'I read it! I finished it! Oh my god - it was fantastic and you are so mean. Can I have the next bit?' This, Chloe.

'Cool,' I say. 'And, not yet because I wrote up large over the weekend. I'll get back to you.'

Laura swivels on her chair.'Should I give Chloe the chapters you gave me?'

I shake my head. 'No, I've written more and changed a lot.'

I collect Hayley's essay and, as I go past, tap Jess on the shoulder. (Jess, whose uncle I had a crush on when I was a 14 year old - another time and another city but such is the small state of our country. Oh, and said uncle was 15 and not yet an uncle so there's no icky stuff going on). 'Have you finished?' I ask.
She grins. 'No, but I'm 3/4 of the way through. It is sooo cool!'
'Are you at the battle?' I ask (wanting to know if she's yet to cry)
'Not yet but they're about to go.' She grins. 'It's so good. I love it.'

The emotive responses are great for this writer's fragile ego. But, such is the nature of teenagers, I do know there's a bit of: oh, my English teacher is a writer. Therefore, it's a bit of an investment for them compared to the average (hah) Joanne Blogs author.

So,I'm juggling a bit: blooding the newbies with the first book and fighting off the seasoned readers with the SFD chapters of Bloodlines.

Apparently, it is about to snow heavily which means a snow day (read: day off school).Fingers crossed peoples cos I want a day to sit in front of the fire with dogs, teenagers, telly and my lap top. I can't wait to get back to 11th Century Scotland and those damn rebels.

On another note. Here has been my day:

6am alarm - damn! Go back to sleep.
6:05am wake cos bloddy cat wants in.
6:10am wake again cos other bloddy cat wants in.
7am- get up. Shower. Check emails while I boil the jug. Make lunches. Read the paper. Shower. Get dressed. Put makeup on (needed!). Oh, and in between, this: time to get up! Get up! We're running late! Get going.

Comfort youngest because eldest is taking toooo long to get ready.

8:15 am go out to car. Damn. Windscreen iced over. Deal with it.
8:20 am all teens in the car.Phew. Skies look meanacing.

8:30 assembly. Beautiful music from gifted girls.
Teach all day and enjoy such things as mentioned above.

4:00pm Home. Decide on vege soup for tea. Feed afternoon snacks to two daughters and French exchange student. Begin dinner.
5:00pm go to friend's house to feed cat. Note - Burmese cats are not easily shrugged off.
5:20pm Finally get free from the cat. Go to supermarket to buy panadol and other drugs for swine flu temps. Buy missing ingredients for dinner (including wine)
5:45pm arrive home and continue with soup.
In between check email and try to post on the blog.
6:03pm Tidy pantry.

I am hoping, before exhaustion sets in, I might write some more. Or, and please, please God, it will snow and we will have a day off.

3 comments:

the uni wallflower said...

hope you are having fun in 11th Century Scotland ( and the snow!!!)

flavia said...

"in one of my classes last year when the story came to me and then suffered as I enthused about the story"
what?!!! trust me, there was NO suffering involved! we loved it!!

Laura S said...

i agree with flavi