Tuesday, July 7, 2009

My first official newspaper interview for Banquo's Son

This afternoon, I spent a lovely hour with a reporter from the Otago Daily Times talking about Banquo's Son. She had been sent a bound copy of the book (uncorrected page proofs) and it was quite exciting because it is looking more and more like a real book.

The problem, you see, is that I came straight from Scotland, 1055 (aka writing Bloodlines) and when she began asking questions which will be answered in the next two books, I found I couldn't keep mum. I kept saying: of course, you can't say that in the story about this book but.... and she would nod understandably. Her main questions? Does Fleance marry Rachel? Will he end up with Rosie? Does he produce an heir? Will the witches appear in the next two books? What happens to Magness?

Such is the burden, I am coming to see, of producing a series. I am in no way suggesting I am in the same league as JK (that's Rowling not Kennedy) but, like her, I have the WHOLE story mapped out and it's tricky to ensure I do not give too much away.

One day, when I'm old (or much older than I am now which is nearly 44 ie very, very old according to my children) I may be asked for my advice on doing what I am doing now. And, I just may have something to say. Right now, it's a crash course.

Personally, I don't know how Philippa Gregory does it. Or Diana Gabaldon. Though, in saying that, the history they are writing in has a heap more information than I have for 11th Century Scotland.

Done my words for the day but wanna keep going. (could be something to do with the fact I'm trying to avoid the housework)

No comments: