Sunday, December 5, 2010

How to write an historical novel, work full and still run a family with teenagers.

Heh heh. I thought that would get your attention.

Quite frankly, I don't know how I have done it two times in a row. I'd rather be reading than writing most days. Currently reading the fabulous You Against Me by Jenny Downham, the author of the amazing book Before I die. It's so much easier to read a great story well written than to tell a great story and ensure the writing is perfect!

Here are my needed tools:
Publishing contract. Check.
Deadline. Check.
Fantastic story outline in detail. Check.
Chapter breakdown. Check.
Research sound. Check.
Motivation. Um. Well, I need time stretching out forever to get up the momentum. It takes me about three hours to get into the narrative and, apart from eating and sleeping, I really can't afford any other distractions.

And, the distractions have been wonderful weather, the needs of my children and husband (and the garden and the dogs; oh, and the cats). And the expectations of Christmas. To be honest, this a time of year I loathe. Never bought into the Santa Claus thing with the kids; hate the commercial nature of things; cringe at the family dynamics, the expectations and awkwardness of things. I think people (family) should behave in the so-called Christmas spirit every day of the year.

I would rather run away and write but that is not how things are and so I have to do what my title says: write a novel, (soon not be working but be on school holidays) and look after my family.

How to write an historical novel in a year? Do nothing else but the essential: eat, sleep, work, mother, write. The garden and the dusting just become ways to help me during my procrastination phrases.

5 comments:

Joanne Ganley said...

I can’t believe it’s only twenty more days ‘till Christmas! You’re so right, 'families should behave in the Christmas spirit every day of the year'.

I didn’t know Jenny Downham had a second book out. Must get it. I loved To Die For, a great debut!

Pen said...

It's so true. The essentials get done everything else can wait. No one is going to care if your house is covered in layer of dust - or remember if it was - they care that you wrote a fabulous book and will never forget how that story touched their hearts.

Joanne Ganley said...

Oops! Funny how you remember something. I meant 'Before I Die'. :)

TK Roxborogh said...

I have just finished it now (got up at 5:30 am to keep reading lol). I've been reading a proof copy (one of the perks of being a book reviewer). It's going to be for sale in NZ from the 7th of January.

TK Roxborogh said...

Thanks Pen for your encouraging comments. It's bit like pregnancy and childbirth I think. All that waiting and the aches and pains and the trauma of delivery but, after a few months, you forget about how hard it was and bask in the glory of everyone telling you how beautiful your baby is. *grin*