Wednesday, May 12, 2010

An exhausted touring author comes home

Well. Touring. Even to one city. Only an hour's flight from home. Still. It is exhausting: talking, smiling, signing, chatting, trying to impart some wisdom to the keen bunnies who truck on up to see you.

Then there are the teachers and the librarians. Shout out to Bronwyn, Kathleen, Claire, Paula, Kathy, Jude, Johnann, Nicola and the others whose names I forget (they are tucked away in my suitcase still) but whose faces and smiles I remember warmly.

Shout out to: Lincoln High, Hornby, Riccarton and Upper Riccarton, St Thomases, St Bedes, Avonside Girls, Linwood High, Linwood Intermediate, Rangi Ruru, St Bedes, Patea and Burnside.

Thanks for turning up and asking all those great questions. Thanks for putting up with me being teacher sometimes (you know who you are). Thank you to the lit up faces of those who have loved Banquo's Son and are passionate about the story. You made my day.

I stayed at the Windsor Hotel. The NZ Book Council arranged this. How did they know? This was the Hotel my husband and I spent the first few days of our honeymoon. I cannot recommend this place enough. It's a bed and breakfast. It's warm. The beds are great and so are the showers. This should be your first stop in Christchurch.

Tomorrow I'm back to school (missed you girls!!) but I have no voice and I'm knackered. Next week it's up to Auckland for the awards ceremony. During this tour, being in the company of librarians and booksellers, I've been exposed to some very strong opinions. (word to the wise: never cross a librarian - they are so knowledgeable)

‘Why do you do it?’ asked an astute young man.

Answer: I am plagued with stories which cram into my head.

Sigh

1 comment:

Vanda Symon said...

Welcome home (-: