Saturday, November 5, 2011

Birthright - the final touches

I have been culling seriously the climatic scenes which include alliances made, witches, promises and a battle. I am pleased to be writing this book as a 46 year old woman who has lived a very full life. Like Fleance, I have been in the limelight most of my life - mostly by my own orchestration; some because of others' actions. I have learnt a lot. I have learned from reading scripture, Shakespeare, the classics, poetry and literature from a wide range of the English speaking world (and even some translations - I've read Victor Hugo's Les Miserables for example). I am blessed to be a holder of wise words from those gone before me.

I watch films as much as I read and I listen to the stories of others.

These, along with the lessons I've learned from my own life, inform my writing. Not that I am being preachy at all (that is far from my intention). It's just that, when a teen in my care comes to me about an issue that is of dire importance for her, I can look down the tunnel of experience and see what she cannot. Not that I would dare say that. Hey, I'm not stupid. But that concern reminds me again and again that if you have not bumped up against the railings once or twice and been bruised, then you don't know that the knock only toughens you up for next time.

Philosophical dribble, maybe, but when you put a 22 year old into the situations I've done for the past three years, you'd hope the author had something reasonable to draw on.

Damn right. When this story goes viral as it will, you can be assured of tracing 21st century lessons to 11th century truths. Scripture warns us (and it is a warning) that 'there is nothing new under the sun'.

I have also learnt a lot from my characters and enjoyed, if that is the right word, opportunity for healing and growth in my own life's struggles.

2 comments:

Pen said...

Can't wait to finally read this Tania :)

Anonymous said...

I am really excited to read this !
Cannot wait till it's done !