Friday, January 14, 2011

"I don't know how you do it!"

Ah, yes. I'm sure I've blogged about this topic before. Funny that that word (blogged) is now part of my lingo - it wasn't when I started this journey - but, hey, such in the nature of English (language) I tell my students and children - evolving all the time.

As an aside, I learnt a month ago that the 'hararu' (hongi/pressing noses and shaking hands during the welcome ceremony on a marae) is a transliteration of 'how do you do?' - what the English people said as they greet the Maori.

Anyway, I digress.

In answer to the above question and one I was asked twice today - I mean, yesterday - is the very fact that I am typing this at a quarter to 3 in the morning.

I am a light sleeper. If I am awoken (as I was again for the umptenth time this week), I get up and write.

I delegate. I've prepared and cooked the dinner for the past four nights. Last night, I prepared and then passed the buck. I got fed. Writing got done.

Mind you, I am on school holidays so I can have a nanna nap to compensate for lack of sleep. During term time, I can only squeeze in a couple of hours if I'm lucky either early morning or after dinner.

But, I'm not getting younger. I'm certain my crazy hours will catch up with me soon and wack me across the back of my head. The learning is fun though. All the stuff I now know, not only to do with language (yes, the words wrecked, nausea, opposition and vomit are all pre-Shakespeare) but wow, Scotland and its history - so amazingly interesting.

Yet, there is annoying (for me, a clean freak) clutter in certain parts of the house (mostly the teenagers' fault) and lots of dust in some parts and I'm probably not very fit despite walking at least one of the dogs every other day. I'm sure my family would prefer that I didn't talk about my stories and characters in the same way I talk about my sisters, cousins and best friends (and their sisters, brothers cousins, friends!) but I do.

How do I do it? Well, I think God dumped this one in my lap and said: you've got the ovaries to tackle this one, luv. Way ya go.

Cheers, guvner, I say. What else is a writer to do but struggle up, take the story and wrestle it into shape?

How do I do it? *Tania sighs* Only because I have a huge team of supporters who love and believe in me. This team consists of my husband, my daughters, my dear, dear friends, my fellow writers, my agent, my publisher and the people who love this series who contact me to tell me so.

I do it because I want to see how it ends. Will the damn boy finally find happiness?

2 comments:

J.T. Webster said...

Hooray for husbands and kids that 'get' a Mum who writes.

Pen said...

I certainly don't envy you the crazy sleeping patterns.

Yay awesome support teams. They are the best and books would never see the light of day without them!!